Reasons why I am already stanning hard for this series (spoilers ahead):
- It is both a steampunk romance and a parody of steampunk and romances
- The author’s real name is Tofa Borregaard and she has a Master’s in archaeology or something
- The heroine’s name is Alexia. Unfortunately, Alexia is a medical condition which involves a person sustaining a brain injury that renders them unable to read
- Because of our buddy Tofa’s background, I think she knows this.
- Alexia doesn’t speak Latin, so she refers to octopi as “octopuses”
- Ivy’s awful hats
- The two protagonists are totally useless! Whenever they need to Solve a Crime or Save a Life, they just make out.
- The vampire Lord Akeldama, who is a fabulous queen
- Romanticized Scottish werewolves!
- Everything is so tongue-in-cheek, winking at the reader, as if to say, “It’s all right, bb, you are smarter than this, but it’s okay to indulge when you have been working this hard in grad school.” Once you realize that the narrative is smart satire of itself, it works.
I am about to write a screenplay of this ridiculous/amazing book and make millions because it is self-aware fluff and I am on this crazy train in the long run.